Sunday 23 December 2007

A last minute X'mas menu


As I write this post, our 4.6 kilogram turkey is submerged in an ice-cold briney bath in the kitchen sink. It is quite a sight because this bird is as big as a baby!

OK, so it wasn't really my idea to get the turkey (but I am getting quite excited about cooking it come x'mas day!), I was thinking more along the lines of a big generous rib roast (which we ended up getting because we don't like to compromise) or a whopping snapper or ocean trout but (did I already mention) I am getting quite excited about cooking this big bird come X'mas day(??)

Here is the menu I threw together this morning before I joined the mad last minute X'mas shopping crowd at our local shopping centre.

to graze on

baked camembert with grissini

smoked salmon, sour cream, chives and buckwheat blinis

to follow with

traditional roast turkey

standing rib roast of beef with herb and seeded mustard crust

to be accompanied by

wild rice, pumpkin "stuffing"

tri-coloured potatoes sauteed in duck fat with garlic and thyme

contemporary waldorf salad (which depends on how lucky i am finding celeriac)

sweet and sour braised red cabbage (or)

mizuna and orange salad

to finish with

ouefs a la niege, mango-champagne soup and berries

Now let's see if things go smoothly between the planning and executing...

By the way, MERRY X'MAS EVERYBODY!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you too! What does one have to do to taste this rather tempting and splendid menu?

Meridian Porch Enclosures said...

Nice bblog thanks for posting