Saturday 28 June 2008

Midnight blueberry muffins


Mick used to go to bed rather late so whenever I had an urge to bake at midnight, he would always be there for me to bounce ideas off him. Sometimes he would ask for a progress report ("what is the consistency of the dough/batter?", "does it smell/taste/look good?", "when is it going to be ready?"), but he would always know of the outcome (by picture and word) before anyone else does.

Blueberry muffins have been on my "to-bake" list for a while now and after swimming with my nephew yesterday and seeing his cute little tummy spill over his board shorts like a generous muffin top, I decided I had to make some blueberry muffins when I got home.

The reason behind the lapse in decision making and executing, is that I have been doing a little bit of research on gluten-free (GF) baking and on how to replace sugar with agave nectar. Although there seem to be an inexhaustible resource on the internet on how to combine the both to produce delicious vegan and gluten-free muffins, I gave up my quest for tonight and decided to use a basic muffin recipe instead with some alterations made to accomodate the agave nectar, kamut and GF flour I intended to use.

Blueberry muffins
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup kamut flour
1/2 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/3 cup soy milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
(makes 6 medium sized muffins)
preheat oven to 180C
grease 6 holes on a 12-hole muffin tin
combine dry ingredients together in a bowl
beat together wet ingredients in a measuring jug
add wet ingredients to dry ingredients
**stir until just combined! **
fold in the frozen berries
divide mixture equally into the prepared muffin tin
bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

No comments: