Wednesday 21 January 2009

Barley for breakfast


I mentioned how I am a real fan of breakfast. To start my day, I am not all that keen on processed cereal that comes in a box as I have always looked at them as some kind of healthy junk-food. A paradox, I know. A friend of mine insists on eating a bowl of raw muesli with skim milk every morning and will willingly swear on his pet's life that it is the best way to start the day. I will not challenge him. Each to his own.

I came across a book the other day while unpacking some moving boxes and found one titled "Cooking with Soy", an Australian Family Circle publication. It features recipes using various soy-based products that can be incorporated into a myriad of everyday meals. Leafing through the book I found a breakfast recipe for pearl barley served with a caramel apple-raisin compote. I thought it sounded nice.

So here is my take on barley for breakfast. Almost like an oatmeal porridge except you are more likely to eat it on a warm summer's morning and texturally more interesting that Bircher muesli.



barley with yogurt and berries

1 cup pearl barley
750 ml soy milk (I used Lite soy milk, you can use dairy milk if you wish)
1 cup fresh/frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1 cup good natural yogurt (I used a Greek-style yogurt)
3-4 tablespoon honey (or to taste)
fresh fruit
toasted almonds or pepitas (optional)
(serves 4)
place soy milk, pearl barley and a pinch of salt into a saucepan
simmer over low heat stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until barley is soft but not mushy.
refrigerate to cool (you can store refrigerate the barley for up to 3 days and continue with the next step when you are ready to serve)
sprinkle raw sugar over berries, crush slightly and stir occasionally
fold crushed berries into 1/3 cup of yogurt
stir remaining yogurt and honey into the cold cooked barley adding a bit of milk if it appears dry
to serve spoon some barley into a bowl, top with berry yogurt, sliced fruit and toasted nuts and seeds.

No comments: