Sunday 25 January 2009

Happy Chinese New Year


How quickly time passes and I am in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, celebrating Chinese New Year with my family. Arrived just a day before, I was not present for our traditional family Lunar New Year biscuit bake-off. This year, Mum replaced her popular pineapple tarts with some pineapple logs that I am not particularly enthused about although admittedly, they do not make for bad eating. I have myself to blame for this experience of disappointment because I arrived too late to help her with the necessary tasks of jam stirring, pastry stamping and lattice forming which are ALL (laboriously) part of pineapple tart-making . Next year I hope to return in time for the bake fest so we can have our pineapple tarts the way they are always intended. I cannot possibly allow this pineapple log business to continue and break our family tradition!


As for me, I managed to make a trio of treats to share with my friends before returning home. The treat featured overhead is a fruit and nut crunch cup inspired by the French confection mendiant. I adore the colours and find them very bold and festive, quite befitting of Chinese New Year celebrations. It consists of a crunchy almond biscuit base, topped with Green & Black's 70% dark chocolate which is a current favourite of mine, jewel-like dried fruit, shredded coconut and crunchy toasted pistachios and walnuts. A far call from traditional Chinese New Year pineapple tarts but I never meant for them to be a replacement.

I wish those who are celebrating the occasion a very Happy Chinese New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock the Pineapple logs... I helped make them - some of them anyway... :-p

Li said...

hahaha, struck a chord did i?
i did say they weren't bad to eat... how about we come to a compromise... we make both next year? mmmm? :D